Gluten-Free Fruit Muffins
The need for gluten free products has been on the rise for the past 10-15 years. Companies are doing a better job of offering gluten free baked goods; however, they are quite expensive and not always appetizing. I worked for many months developing a muffin recipe for home that I thought was suitable for sharing. Here it is. Let me know what you think 🙂
1 cup brown rice flour
½ cup tapioca flour
¼ cup potato starch flour
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg or 2 egg whites
½ cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp brown sugar
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbsp vegetable oil (such as canola oil)
1 tsp xanthan gum
½ cup fresh or frozen chopped fruit of your choice (strawberries, peaches, blueberries, apples, etc.)
- In a blender or food processor combine egg, soy yogurt, sugar, applesauce, and oil. With the blender running, slowly add the xanthan gum. Combine well, then turn off motor and allow liquids to rest for five minutes. Mixture will thicken. NOTE: the xantham gum is very sticky. Be careful not to spill any or your floor/counter will be slippery until you have washed it several times.
- Mix flours, soda, baking powder and spice in a separate bowl.
- Then add the think liquid mizture to dry ingredients and stir briefly until almost combined, then add the fruit pieces and stir a few more times. Do not over-mix!
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 high and bake at 375° for 20-24 minutes.
- OPTIONAL: Sprinkle a sugar and cinnamon mix on top for some added crunch.
Nutrition Note: Use whatever fruit is in season, and change the spices to vary the flavour. The combination of three flours will always yield a tender muffin while rice flour alone will make a dense muffin, make sure to use potato starch flour and not potato flour!
If you would like these to be dairy free as well, you can replace the Greek yogurt with soy yogurt.