So I am working on a longer post but in the meantime, with Thanksgiving a day away and pumpkins everywhere I turn, I just had to share one of my favourite dishes with you. I developed this recipe several years ago as a healthier replacement for pumpkin pie, but in reality it is great year round as a snack or as part of a healthy breakfast. It eliminates the trans fat from pastry while providing antioxidants, soluble fibre, and protein. It even freezes fairly well. I will be making it this weekend for sure. Hope you enjoy!!
1 large can Pure Pumpkin-NOT the pie filling OR The contents of 1 large (or 2 small) pie pumpking baked and gutted
1/4 cup brown sugar
½-1 Tbsp cinnamon (depending on your taste preference)
1/3 cup NatureEgg Egg Whites (or 2-3 egg whites)
¼ cup Oat bran
1 tsp vanilla
- Mix together pumpkin with other ingredients using a blender or electric hand mixer.
- Pour mixture into a baking pan.
- Bake uncovered at 350° for 45-50 minutes, or until mixture is warmed through and sides are browning.
- See serving suggestions below.
Makes about 10 servings (1/2 cup each).
- Breakfast or a snack: Top with Greek yogurt and your favourite whole grain cereal.
- Dessert: Serve warm alone or with Greek yogurt or Frozen yogurt.
- Dessert: Serve as part of a parfait: layer pudding (warm or cold), crumbled graham crackers, and Dream Whip in a glass serving dish. Top with a little caramel drizzle.
Until next time….stay healthy!