Smoothie bowls have become a favorite of mine recently. I enjoy them for a refreshing breakfast or lunch but most of all I like them for evening snack. I LOVE ice cream so they provide a way for me to feel like I am eating ice cream, but in reality I am consuming fewer calories and more nutrients. These are amazing for kids too and can be thinned down with a little extra milk if kids prefer to drink them like a regular smoothie.
For any of the recipes below, you can use cow’s milk, soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, etc. If you are using a cow’s milk alternative, just make sure that it is fortified with calcium and vitamin D. There are a few I have specified coconut milk for as I think that it tastes best with those recipes, but if you do not have it in the house, then any milk is fine.
Here are my 6 favourite combos to blend together:
- Black Forest Cake: 1 cup chocolate milk (or 1 cup alternate milk with 1Tbsp.chocolate syrup), 1/2 cup Black Cherry Greek yogurt, 1 cup frozen cherries (or berries), 1 banan
- Matcha Monkey: 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt (or vanilla coconut yogurt), 1 Tbsp. shelled hemp hearts, 1 Tbsp. unsweetened matcha, 1 banana (preferably frozen)
- Green Berry Bonanza: 1 cup milk, 1-2 cups frozen berries, 1 banana, 1/2 Tbsp. unsweetened Matcha powder
- Tropical Tornado: 1 cup coconut milk, 1/2 cup vanilla flavoured coconut yogurt, 1 cup frozen mango, 1 cup frozen pineapple
- Key Lime Pineapple: 1 cup coconut milk, 1/2 cup Key Lime Greek yogurt, 1 Tbsp. lime juice, 1 cup frozen pineapple.
- Beautiful Berries: 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 2 cups frozen berries
Once they are blended and in the bowl, you can top them with granola, fresh fruit, chia seeds, hemp hearts, sliced almonds, etc.
Until next time….stay healthy!