Autumn has so many wonderful traditions and one of my favourite is our annual visits to a local pumpkin farm. The boys love to pick out pumpkins for the front porch and a few for baking too. One of our favourite pumpkin recipes is pumpkin pudding which you can find here. Another is these pumpkin muffins…a true staple in our home during the fall months.
And if you don’t have a pumpkin farm near you where you can get fresh pumpkins to roast, not to worry, canned pure pumpkin works well too. Here is the recipe!
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
¼ cup hemp hearts
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1 cup coconut milk (or alternate milk of your choice)
¼ cup maple syrup
2 cups Pumpkin purée
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup crushed walnuts or pecans
½ cup raisins or dried cranberries
1. Combine all dry ingredients and make a well in the centre.
2. Combine all wet ingredients and pour into dry ingredients.
3. Add optional ingredients as you wish.
4. Mix together until moistened. Do not over mix.
5. Spoon batter into non-stick muffin pan.
6. Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes.
Makes 18 muffins.
Here are a few more pics from the two trips we made to gather pumpkins this year…
Until next time…stay healthy!