My morning routine sets me up for success in the rest of the day. The routine I have today has not always been in place though. Over the past 8 years I went through 4 years of middle-of-the-night wake ups, followed by 4 years of late nights (like 2 am) to get caught up on work followed by sleeping to the last possible minute followed by a frantic, rushed start to the day. But over the past 6 months I started to come to grips with the need for more consistency in this part of my day, consistency that would help shape my day. More on that to come. But for today, I wanted to share a recipe that has served me well in all three phases, because no matter how frantic or peaceful my morning is, having breakfast ready ahead of time is always welcome!
This Apple and Almond Butter Steel Cut Oatmeal is rich, creamy, and incredibly delicious. I hope you and your family love it as much as we do!
Apple and Almond Butter Steel Cut Oatmeal
2 cups Coconut milk (or your favourite milk)
2 cups Water
1 cup Steel Cut Oats
1/3 cup almond butter (or alternate nut/seed butter)
1/3 cup hemp hearts
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Core and dice the apples into small 1/4 inch pieces and set aside. (You can peel them first if you wish, but I leave the skin on for added fiber and antioxidants.)
- Add 2 cups of coconut milk and 2 cups of water to a small dutch oven or large sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- As soon as the liquid is boiling add 1 cup of steel cut oats and the diced apples. Cover the pot, and reduce the heat to a medium-low.
- Cook the oatmeal and apples for about 20 minutes, stirring as desired.
- Once the oatmeal has thickened, stir in the almond butter, hemp hearts, apple syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
- Serve the oatmeal as is or add a dollup of yogurt on top. It can also be stored in mason jars or alternate glass containers in the fridge or freezer.