I am excited to share this muffin recipe with you after working through MANY drafts to come up with a muffin that tasted good, had a nice texture and mouth feel, looked good, and had a good shelf life. I also wanted to make sure that it was enjoyable for kids and parents alike. If I am being honest, my husband does not care for these, but that is because he is not a fan of coconut and these muffins have a beautiful coconut flavor. If I close my eyes when I open the container, I feel like I am at the beach!!
Okay, here is the recipe.
3/4 cup shredded coconut
2 tsp Matcha powder
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp. hemp hearts
3 medium to large bananas (or 4 small), peeled and mashed
3 Omega-3 eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp. Agave syrup
1/3 cup coconut oil
1.5 cups milk of your choice (I used coconut)
- Combine coconut and Matcha in a bowl and mix until the coconut is coated in Matcha. This will help prevent any clumping of the coconut or the Matcha.
- Combine all dry ingredients into one bowl.
- Combine all wet ingredients in a bowl. Start with mixing the mashed bananas, eggs and agave together. Then stir in the coconut oil, and finally add your choice of milk.
- Finally, add wet ingredients to dry and stir until moistened, but do not over stir.
- Scoop batter in to small, medium, or large muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes for mini, 15-18 minutes for medium, and 20-23 minutes for large…or until you can pull a knife tip out clean.
These muffins are packed with health benefits including disease fighting antioxidants from the Matcha and Omega 3 fatty acids from hemp hearts and omega 3 eggs. They also contain cinnamon, Agave, and a solid protein content promoting a low glycemic response. I hope that you enjoy them for their flavor, but also benefit from the healthy ingredients!
When developing this recipe, I used to sweet Matcha powder I received recently from Ujido Matcha. If you want to try it too, you can use the code “noellemartin20” at checkout to get 20% off your order. I find this Matcha to have a lovely flavor and consistency and works well for smoothies, lattes, and baking.
Until next time…stay healthy!