Busy schedules call for a strong and nourishing start! These egg bites are packed with high quality protein, fibre, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants and are perfect for a quick breakfast or a nutrient-dense snack any time of the day! You can find the recipe below.
1 Tbsp. avocado oil
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. garlic puree
2 peppers, diced
1 cup mushrooms, dice
1 red onion, diced
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup egg whites
1 cup of cooked quinoa
1 Tbsp. low sodium nacho or fajita seasoning
½ cup shredded cheese (more if topping is desired).
- Saute peppers, onions, and mushrooms in avocado oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic puree on medium head until vegetables are softened.
- Once they are cooked through, stir in seasoning, black beans, quinoa, and shredded cheese.
- Spoon mixture into non-stick (or greased) mini muffin tin pods.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg whites and pour a small amount over vegetable mixture in each muffin pod.
- Add more cheese on top if desired and bake at 400F for about 15-20 minutes (or until cooked through).
Serving Ideas: These egg bites are a great option for any meal or snack of the day. They can be served on their own or with a mixed greens salad, an avocado and tomato salad, and/or whole grain toast.
These egg bites are packed with nutrition with:
- high quality protein from egg whites, quinoa, cheese, and black beans;
- fibre from quinoa, black beans, and veggies; and
- many vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant from veggies, quinoa, and black beans!
Time Saver Tip: If you would like to serve these hot for breakfast but need a shorter prep time, complete steps 1-2 when making supper the night before, and then move forward with steps 3-5 when you wake in the morning!