Last week I shared how you can LOVE YOUR BODY by offering nourishment at the start of the day with these 6-day overnight oats. Today I wanted to showcase a beautiful food that is wonderful to incorporate in any meal or snack of the day and offers your body LOVE through wonderful nutrition: QUINOA!!!
Quinoa is a grain that is unique in that it not only offers valuable fiber and micronutrients, but also contains all of the essential amino acids. This is not true of most plant-based protein sources. While it tends to be common knowledge that quinoa is a nutrition-packed choice, I am often asked how to make it. Here is the easy method to cook it and 5 ways you can enjoy it!
To make quinoa, you need a 1:2 ratio of quinoa to liquid. You can totally use water, but I like to use 1/2 water and 1/2 low sodium vegetable or chicken broth. Here is my favorite way to make it: Bring 1 cup of water and 1 cup of low sodium broth to a boil. Add 1 cup of quinoa, cover pot, and reduce to a simmer. In 5-7 minutes quinoa will be cooked through and ready to fluff and serve! Here are a few ideas:
- In place of rice or pasta. Quinoa works as a wonderful side to vegetable and/or your choice of protein or as a base for a stir-fry.
- Add it to your favourite salad or Buddha bowl. This gives a source of longer lasting energy than veggies alone, fibre, a complete protein, and many additional vitamins and minerals.
- Make a cold quinoa salad. Mix quinoa with your favourite dried fruit, nuts, and seeds then for a thickened mix stir in Greek yogurt or for a thinner texture add a drizzle of oil, balsamic vinegar can and maple syrup.
- Add it to your favourite baked good. Many recipes call for quinoa flour, but you can also add cooked quinoa to your favourite muffin recipe for a boost of protein and fiber. Here are two recipes that I created that have quinoa built into the recipe: Avocado Brownies, and Quinoa Pudding.
- Add it to soup! You can add it to any soup to add a little texture or puree it right in!