One of my favourite holiday traditions is baking with my mom and kids. This week-end we took an old family recipe and made it dairy free by using coconut oil instead of butter. We also made it free of refined sugar and replaced some of the white flour with whole wheat and added a touch of omega 3 by replacing regular jam with chia jam. My mom was skeptical how they would turn out. I’m thrilled to report it was 100% successful. Here is the recipe.
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 cup Garden of Life Coconut Oil
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
Several spoonfuls if blackberry chia jam (or your favourite chia jam/purée)
1. Blend all ingredients except the jam/purée and knead until it becomes a dough.
2. Place between two pieces of wax paper and roll into a rectangle. It takes a bit to get it all flattened out, but you will get there.
3. Remove the top piece of wax paper.
4. Add jam/purée in small amount spreading it into a thin layer to about 1/4” from the edges.
5. Using the bottom piece of wax paper to help you get started, roll the dough into a long roll.
6. Wrap it up in the wax paper and place in fridge for at least 4 hours. You can leave it there for up to 48 hours though.
7. When ready to bake, unwrap the roll and slice into 1/4” pieces. Place on cookie sheet or stone and bake at 325 F for about 18 minutes.
Until next time….stay healthy!