Cold winter days are the perfect time to create and serve warm and nourishing soups, stews, and chili. Creating versions of comfort foods that offer more vegetables and legumes and lower fat versions of animal protein can be a great way to satisfy our cravings while supporting desired immunity and overall health. White Chicken Chili offers a variation of the traditional chili recipe that is lower in saturated fat by replacing red meat with extra lean ground chicken. And the health benefits don’t stop there! The cooked tomatoes offer a fantastic source of bio-available lycopene which can reduce the risk of cancer. And the vitamin C in tomatoes and peppers helps us to absorb the iron available in chicken and the white kidney beans. There is also soluble fiber in the beans which helps to clean up the bad cholesterol in our bodies, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease and soluble fiber also supports a reduced risk in certain types of cancer. And last, but not least, the protein and fiber available from several of the ingredients offer satiety, helping you feel satisfied longer between meals. So now that you know the amazing health benefits to this recipe, here is how to make it!
1 pound extra lean ground chicken
1 can no salt added white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup diced peppers
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 garlic clove, minced
½ tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. turmeric
½ tsp. paprika
1 tbsp. maple syrup
- Wash all produce before cooking.
- Saute the ground chicken on your stove top, using a small amount of water in the pan as needed for additional moisture.
- Once chicken is cooked through, add white beans, vegetables, tomato paste, spices, and maple syrup.
- Let simmer on low heat setting for 30-60 minutes.
- Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream, shredded cheese, and diced tomaotes.
This recipe was created by me and it’s creation was sponsored by Nature Fresh.