We are facing unchartered territory in the world, but I don’t feel like this is 100% unchartered territory for me. When our twins were born we lived with minimal contact to the outside world for months! So I am digging back into that mode, especially with meal planning.
If you are looking to limit your visits to the grocery store, here are a few tips that will hopefully help when you go to the store and for the weeks following. If you are on my meal plan email list then you received your grocery list for the up-coming week. You may wish to just double those recipes. If not, here are a few other ideas for the coming three weeks…
Grocery Shopping and Meal Prep Tips for Week 1:
- Purchase food needed for a “one week meal schedule” and then enough to freeze for upcoming weeks if you would prefer to stay out of stores for three weeks. See meal ideas below before making your list.
- Stock up on frozen food and essential non-perishables. A reminder to do this within reason and not in a way that prevents others from feeding their families too.
- Offer fresh produce as often as possible to ensure no food waste for as long as it will last. To extend shelf-life add it it soups or roast/saute it and freeze for later use.
- Saute and freeze kale and spinach that you are not able to consume right away. These can be used for sauces, smoothies, and soups in the following weeks.
- Make a few batches of soup to freeze. Click here for a few of our favourites.
Okay, so when week 1 is done and your fridge seems bare, head to the freezer and cupboards to prepare these nourishing meals.
Week 2 Evening Meals
Slow cooker BBQ Pork Tenderloin with Rice and Steamed Broccoli with cheese
Pork recipe: Place 4 pounds of pork tenderloin in your slow cooker with 1 cup of your favourite BBQ sauce and 1/2 cup of water. Cook on high for 2 hours and low for an additional 4-5 hours. Shred pork and serve.
Note: A portion of this pork is to be saved for Tuesday
Golden Chicken served with frozen sweet potato fries and frozen peas
Slow cooker BBQ Pulled Pork Tacos (Hard or soft taco shells, salsa (or canned tomatoes), sour cream or plain yogurt, and shredded cheese). Served with steamed or roasted frozen green beans
Frozen fish with quinoa and frozen veggie stir fry
Green Pancakes with scrambled eggs and a berry smoothie
Soup (ideally from the freezer) with toast and mixed nuts/seeds or sliced cheese
Pumpkin Mac and Cheese with roasted or steamed frozen veggies and a green smoothie.
Here is one of our favourite green smoothie blends (serves 4):
3 cups Frozen Mango
1/2 cup Lime Juice
2 cups Frozen Baby Spinach or Kale (or 4 cups fresh)
1/4 cup Ground Flax Seed
1/2 cup Hemp Hearts
6 cups Water
Week 3 Evening Meals:
Breaded Haddock with frozen cauliflower rice and peas
Cranberry Turkey Meatloaf with frozen sweet potato fries and green beans
Soup (ideally from the freezer) with grilled cheese or frozen pizza
Gnocchi with olive oil, frozen edamame, no-salt added canned tomatoes, and goat cheese
White Chicken Chili (made with canned tomatoes instead of fresh) with a roasted frozen broccoli and cauliflower
If you have any questions at all on brining this to life, please feel free to email me (email@example.com) or leave a question in the comments below. Wishing you all a healthy and enjoyable family time over the coming few weeks.