Are you trying to increase your shelf-stable inventory right now to shop less while you eat at home more? Me too!!! So I thought I would share my top shelf-stable items to stock up on and why!
- Oats – This grain is amazing for morning oatmeal, muffins, egg and oat scrambles, breakfast cups, cookies, homemade burgers / meatballs / meatloaf, and more! It is packed with fiber and iron and helps us stay fuller longer.
- Dried Fruit – My favourites are dried apricots, dates, and raisins. These work well as part of a homemade trail mix and offer a natural sweetness for any smoothie, cookie, bread, or muffin recipe. They also work well on their own for a quick mid-afternoon energy boost! Because the moisture is removed, dried fruit has a higher concentration of nutrients such as fiber, iron, vitamin C, and more.
- Pumpkin Seeds – These crunchy nutrition power houses are full of protein, omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin E, iron, fiber, and more. They are wonderful on their own or added to oatmeal, salads, cookies, and trail mixes. If you like making your own bread, try this recipe that has the goodness of pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries!
- Pureed Pumpkin – Pumpkin offers a valuable nutrient called beta-carotene which offers immune support in two ways. One is that it is an antioxidant. This means that it reduced oxidation in our body that can lead to cancer, heart disease, and inflammation. The second way is that it can be converted to vitamin A which has many functions in the body including keeping the skin cells and the cells in our respiratory and digestive system healthy! Now that is important!!! So how can we add pumpkin to our meals and snacks more? By adding it to oatmeal, muffins, pancakes, pies, pumpkin mac and cheese, and smoothies. YUM!
- Beans / Chickpeas / Lentils (dried or canned with no salt added) – These offer a good source of protein in a shelf-stable form. You can use them to replace half of the animal-based protein in chili, pasta sauce, or taco filling. Or you can puree them into pasta sauces and soups or throw them on top of your favourite salad or nachos.
- Snack Bars: Allergen-friendly Favourites: Our favourites are FreeYumm, MadeGood, Nature’s Bakery, and Welo Kids. Nutrition-added Favourites: our favourites are Welo, Hemp Yeah, Sproos, Kosuma, and Simply Protein.
- Pasta: Whether its traditional pasta or one made from plant-based proteins, you will find this staple an amazing option to serve with any protein and veggie combo. It is also great as the base for a cold pasta salad! Add nutrient density by using a veggie-packed sauce!
I hope stocking up on these items keeps your meals and snacks nourishing and your meal planning stress low! If you are looking more tips, click here for my 14-day Grocery and Meal Planning Guide.